Did you know that something is growing and spreading inside your home, and it is slowly killing you and your family?
It’s mould and if you are living in Singapore, your house might have already been infested with mould. Mould grows because of high humidity or too much moisture in the air. Mould grows when the humidity level is already at 70% and in Singapore where humidity level reaches up to 100%, mould infestation is a very serious problem.
Areas near bodies of water like houses and apartments in Tampines, near the water reservoir, are likely to have mould because the air is very moist. Units on lower floors of residential buildings are more susceptible to mould buildup because air with so much moisture is heavier and settles in lower areas.
You’re probably thinking: “So what if my home has mould?”. You should take mould infestation more seriously because mould can cause serious health and other problems.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should get rid of mould in your homes
#1 Triggers Asthma Attacks
According to studies, 5% of adults and 20% of children in Singapore are affected by Asthma and mould is very dangerous to people with Asthma. Mould spores in the air trigger asthma attacks and can cause breathing difficulty to people with asthma.
If you have Asthma or live with people with Asthma, get your house checked for mould. If mould has already spread in your home, you must immediately get rid of it.
#2 Can severely cause allergies
Mould releases hundred-thousand spores and you are already inhaling it without knowing it. People who are sensitive to the air quality could suffer from wheezing, coughing, sneezing, irritated nose and eyes, all because of mould.
#3 It weakens your immune system
You might not be feeling any effects yet, but according to a study, inhaling mould spores weakens your immune system. This is because when you inhale mould spores, they stick and stay in your lungs.
Babies, the elderly and people with immunodeficiency conditions are at risk of getting life-threatening diseases like Pneumonia because of inhaling mould spores.
#4 It can spread in your food and release deadly toxins
Mould rapidly grows and spreads. If you have been living in a house that has mould infestation for years, mould has already spread in almost every area of your house.
If your kitchen cabinets, cupboards or any wooden storage for food has mould growing on them, mould can spread on your food. Fruits, bread, nuts, spices, dried food and other food stored in wooden storages can easily get mould and you wouldn’t even notice it.
Mould can release Mycotoxin. It is a type of toxin that can cause disease and even death when consumed. If you see mould on the surface of your fruit, bread or any food don’t attempt to eat it. Just throw it away and start cleaning your kitchen cabinets and cupboard.
#5 Mould ruins your valuables and properties
Mould can ruin clothes, bags, and even expensive camera lenses. Mould like all fungi can eat through leather, this is why it is very difficult to clean mouldy bags, shoes, belts and other leather items. Once you see mould on the surface of your bags and clothes, there’s a chance that it has already spread within it.
Mould on your clothes is dangerous because once you’ve worn clothes with mould, you’ll end up inhaling mould spores wherever you go because you carry them with you.
Mould is so dangerous but, so how can we get rid of them?
Getting rid of mould
You can use bleach, mould spray and even vinegar to remove mould, however, if mould has already penetrated an object from within, it would just grow back. This is why most mouldy furniture is often thrown away because mould has already spread within. Even after cleaning and removing mould from it, mould would just spread again after a few weeks.
Some types of carpets are very hard to clean and removing mould from them is almost impossible. This is because mould can hide through the narrow areas of carpets and would just grow back, especially when the carpet is not fully dried.
Mould problems? Get a Dehumidifier
So how do you get rid of mould? You can let mould die naturally by using a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier lowers your indoor humidity. Once the moisture in the air is removed, moulds, mildew and other fungi will starve and die naturally. Keeping your home’s indoor humidity below 70% will prevent mould from growing and spreading again. By investing in a dehumidifier, you won’t have to worry about mould growing on your home ever again.
Sterra Sun dehumidifier ranks number in Singapore and it is used by celebrities and thousands of Singaporeans. What makes it so popular is that it combines the high-quality features of high-end and expensive dehumidifiers but it is budget-friendly.
How does it work?
The Sterra Sun sucks in humid air and removes the moisture in the air. The moisture is condensed into water and then collected in a storage tank. The Sterra Sun then releases drier and cooler air making indoor humidity go down.
What makes the Sterra Sun an amazing dehumidifier is that it also filters your air. It is equipped with a pre-filter and HEPA-11 filter that traps mould spores, mildew, dust mites and even bacteria as it sucks in the humid air.
The Sterra Sun can remove up to 12 litres of moisture every day and it is strong enough to cover a whole 5-room HDB flat. It has a four-humidity setting giving you control over the level of indoor humidity in your home.
Sterra Sun has over 4000 5-star reviews from happy and satisfied customers.
Start removing mould from your homes and keep them from growing back, get a Sterra Sun dehumidifier today.
Sterra is a homegrown brand set out to change the way Singaporeans drink water at home. We believe everyone deserves to drink water conveniently. Sterra is a product and customer-focused company. We take pride in our excellence in design, quality and value to customers.