Top 5 reasons why mould is dangerous to your family
Did you know that your family’s health is at great risk because of mould?
Did you know that your baby could develop asthma when he grows up because of inhaling too many mould spores?
Did you know that your grandparents and elderly can be hospitalized because of mould?
If you’re living in a very humid or tropical country like Singapore, there is a very big chance that mold has already grown in your home. You just don’t know it yet and it is slowly killing you and your family.
Most people disregard mould and see it as harmless but being exposed to it can cause serious health issues and severe illness.
Mould releases hundred-thousand spores and it is invisible to the naked eye. These microscopic spores float in the air and you are inhaling them every day. These mould spores put you and your family at risk of axquiring deadly illnesses and health problems.
Here are Top 5 reasons why mould is dangerous to your family.
#1 Triggers Asthma Attacks
Singapore has a high percentage of people with Asthma. According to studies, 5% of adults and 20% of children have this condition.
In a tropical country, where mould is a common problem, people with Asthma should always check if the house they’re living in has mould. Mould can grow within walls, under the kitchen sink and in other areas of a house. Mould spores can trigger asthma attacks and can cause difficulty breathing in people with asthma.
According to a study funded by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, infants who were always exposed to mould have a high chance of becoming asthmatic when they reach the age of 7.
#2 Causes allergic reactions
People who are sensitive to air can experience mild to severe discomfort because of mould spores. They could experience sneezing, wheezing, coughing, chest pain and other kinds of allergic reactions if they inhaled mould spores.
#3 Weakens your immune system
Once you have inhaled mould spores, they travel down your lungs. The spores stick and stay there. This can weaken your lungs and immune system.
If you have mould growing within your bedroom, it could lead to serious illness. We spend most of our time sleeping and long exposure to mould increases the number of spores in our lungs.
The elderly, infants and people with immune deficiency conditions are at greater risk of acquiring pneumonia because of mould spores.
#4 Can spread to food
Since mould spores float in the air, it can easily spread on your food, especially when your food storage like kitchen cabinets and cupboards has mould build up. Mould spreads at an alarming rate and when food catches mould, it could be very dangerous.
Mould releases mycotoxins, a toxic substance that can cause illness. Mould that grows on cereals, nuts, spices, dried fruits, apples and coffee beans often releases mycotoxins. According to the World Health Organization, the negative effects of mycotoxins include acute poisoning and if you’re exposed to mycotoxins for a long time, it can lead to immune deficiency and even cancer.
#5 Irritates eyes, nose and skin
Aside from causing respiratory allergic reactions, mould spores can also cause external irritation. Touching mould can irritate the skin and cause skin rashes or dermatitis. Mould can also irritate and cause red eyes, runny nose and other irritations.
Where does mould come from?
Moulds are very dangerous, but where do they come from and why do they keep growing and spreading? Mould grows because of high moisture in the air or high humidity. Like all fungi, moisture is what keeps mould from growing.
This is why even if you clean mould using bleach, mould spray, vinegar and other cleaning solution they keep coming back. As long as your home’s indoor humidity level is at 70% and up, mold will just continue to grow back.
How to get rid of mould
By using a dehumidifier, you can lower your indoor humidity and starve mould. Once starved, mould will die naturally. A dehumidifier lowers humidity by removing moisture in the air.
What makes Sterra Sun popular is not only does it lower humidity, but it also helps protect you and your family from harmful airborne contaminants. The Sterra Sun is built with a Pre-filter and HEPA-11 filter that traps mould spores, mildew, dust mites and even bacteria as it sucks in the humid air.
The Sterra Sun just takes up less than 1 square foot of floor space only. It is so compact but it is so powerful. It can remove 12 litres of moisture every day with its 4-humidity level setting.
Its sleek design complements any type of household, workspace area or indoor atmosphere.
Sterra Sun is used by celebrities and thousands of Singaporeans. It beats other leading dehumidifier brands by offering high-quality features but keeping the price budget-friendly. It has over 4000 5-star reviews from satisfied and happy customers.
With Sterra Sun, you don’t have to worry about dangerous mould growing in your home. Get a Sterra Sun now and start getting rid of mould today.
Sterra is a homegrown brand set out to change the way Singaporeans drink water at home. We believe everyone deserves to drink water conveniently. Sterra is a product and customer-focused company. We take pride in our excellence in design, quality and value to customers.